When it comes to workplace fashion, you are what you wear. We’re all grappling with what casual Friday means, and according to Villagers, first and foremost is the issue of professionalism. Looking the part is key. Beyond that, working divas recently told us what they universally slip on to meet relaxed dress codes: khaki pants.
In nearly 200 emails, working divas told us they wear chinos and blouses within traditional offices; in looser environments, black jeans and polo shirts, preferably with the company logo on it. And with both kinds of dress, leather shoes.
Stumped about what to wear to your office on casual Friday? Try these 12 tips.
- ‘I would never show my midriff because I love my fellow man. My rule of thumb has always been if I bend over and the mystery is gone, it’s too sexy for work.” –Anita
- ‘A dressed-down woman often looks slightly more casual than a dressed-down man. I can’t have anything sticking in anyone’s mind about my appearance that might hold me back. It’s up to me to stay looking professional, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.” –Jennifer
- Casual Fridays mean a nice pair of dress pants or khakis with a white button-up shirt, or turtleneck sweater and a sharp pair of shoes.” –Deanna
- I enjoy looking ’employed’ when I dress for work: a nice pair of slacks, or denim skirt with a tasteful (not the Victoria’s Secret type) top; in the winter, a blouse with blazer. Revealing cleavage and tight, high-thigh skirts have no place at work.” –Diana
- ”When I look in the mirror on Friday morning, the question I ask myself is, ‘Could I meet a CEO today without being embarrassed about what I’m wearing?’ ” –Jennifer
- ‘You dress for the part you aspire to. If you aspire for the gardener’s job, well …” –miret
- ”As a space planner, decorator and furniture buyer, I’m often crawling under desks, walking through construction sites and attending meetings with clients. The best dress for me is slacks, flats and a tailored shirt or T-shirt topped with a blazer. I’m physically comfortable enough to do my job yet feel emotionally comfortable enough to attend a meeting with a high-level executive.” –Dawnie83
- ”Even on casual days, we should project a professional image. Casual dress shouldn’t mean ‘anything goes.’ It means that we don’t have to wear a dress suit.” –Aimee
- ”It just means sandals without pantyhose in the summer.” –Flynn535
- ”Our company gave out a nice blue polo with the company name and logo that coordinates great with jeans. The joke is that this outfit is our Friday ‘uniform.’ ” –Texto
- .”All shirts have to have sleeves. If you can wear it to the beach, it’s not to be worn to the office.” –unnamed member
- ”It may be a ‘casual’ Friday, but you are at work, not at high school!” –Kalsij