COOKED VEGETABLES WITH GRATED COCONUT (URAP)
- 8 oz fresh green beans
- 8 oz bean sprouts
- 4 carrots
- 1 can bamboo shoots
- ½ small cabbage
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli sauce (sambal ulek)
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 tbs lime juice
- Wash bean sprouts, pinching of any brown tail. Pour boiling water over bean sprouts, then rinse under cold water tap. Drain well.
- String beans and cut diagonally or bite-size lengths and cook in lightly salted water until just tender. Beans should still be crisp to bite.
- Scrub carrot and cut into thin strips, cook until tender. Drain well.
- Slice cabbage, discard the center stem. Blanch in boiling salted water for a minute or two, until tender but not limp. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Cut bamboo shoots into strips the same size as the beans.
- Place fresh grated coconut into a bowl, add onion, chili sauce, salt, lime juice and the shrimp paste which has been grilled for a few minutes, or heated in a dry frying pan. Mix thoroughly together.
- Sprinkle this grated coconut mixture over vegetables, reserving some to garnish the dish when served.
- Put vegetables in a steamer and steam for 5-8 minutes.
- Put the steamed vegetables to a serving dish/platter and sprinkle with reserved grated coconut mixture. Use as an accompaniment to a meal, or as a salad by itself.