Time required: 20 minutes
- 2 cup(s) cashews
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 3 saffron strands
- 3 drops of rose water
- Soak saffron in one tablespoon of boiling water, then use the back of a spoon to crush it into a paste.
- Dry grind the cashews.
- Put 1/2 cup water and sugar in a pot and heat to make a syrup of one thread consistency. The test for one thread is to pinch the slightly cooled sugar syrup between the index finger and the thumb.
- If it forms a thread, then it is ready. If no thread is formed, then boil the syrup some more.
- Remove from heat and quickly mix in the cashews, ghee and rose water. Use a wooden spoon to mix.
- The mixture will resemble a soft dough. Gently flatten manually with greased hands or with a greased rolling pin on a greased surface. Cut into squares.
- Cover tops with saffron paste, and allow time to set.
- The key to making these squares is to quickly mix the paste once the wet and dry ingredients are combined.