Vasanthi Ram shares her Grandmother’s recipe 🙂 of Spicy Brinjal Chutney. This goes well as a spread on anything – rotis, breads and even a mix with rice a tsp of oil mixed to this rice.
- 6 medium brinjals
- lemon sized tamarind
- 5 tblspn Sesame seed oil
- 1 tblspn Urad daal
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1tspn Jaggery
- pinch of asafoetida
- 10 green chillies
- salt to taste
- Cut 6 medium sized brinjals to wedges and keep immersed in water.
- Soak a lemon size tamrind juice it a keep aside.
- Heat a wok and add sesame seed oil 5 spoons.
- Add 1 tbls of urad dal and roast.
- Add the brinjal + a pinch of tumeric+ 1tsp jaggery+ salt + a pinch of asofodetia.
- Add the 10 green chillies split.
- Fry till brinjal semi soft.
- Now add the tamarind water simmer till brinjal is cooked soft.
- taste and adjust spices.
- Once mixture cools, blend to smooth paste.
Tempering: In wok add 2 tbls of s.oil + 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds + 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds + curry leaves.
Add chutney and stir for 2 mins.
cool completely add store in fridge. This stays fresh for 15 days.