VEGAN RAJMA MASALA without any dairy products used was shared at the 5th What’s up Chef cookery demo and tasting event: Men’s Special by Amit Ganguly
He also shared his recipe of Gaklawati Chicken Kebab here >>
500 gms Rajma (red Kidney Beans) soaked overnight
Spice Mix made with 1 tea spoon each of
- Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder,
- Jeera (cumin) Powder,
- Haldi (Turmeric) Powder,
- red Chilly Powder
- salt and sugar to taste.
1/tsp Cumin Seed
1 Cup Tomato puree
1 tsp Green Chilly Paste
1-2 tsp Ginger Paste
2 – 3 tbsp Oil
- Boil the Rajma till soft and mash with little bit salt and numeric. Don’t drain the water.
- Mix all spices in half cup water – keep aside.
- Heat Oil, temper with cumin seed, add ginger and green chilly paste – fry for a minute.
- Add the spice mix to the pan – fry till oil separates.
- Add tomato puree – continue frying till oil separates.
- Add rajma and its residual boiled water.
- Cover and simmer for approx. 15 minutes on low heat.
- Serve with Rice, garnished with fresh coriander and chopped chillies.
- What do you mean by ‘till the oil separates?
Ans: Oil is separated in curries normally after you have cooked spices or sauces for 10 – 15 mins. You can tell by seeing “bubbles” apprearing and the oil by making a thin layer on top of your sauces/curry.
- Why do we need to ‘separate the oil’?
Ans: it’s always good to let the oil separate from your curry because of two things:
- Extra water dries up
- All spices and curry get cooked properly
- In Indonesia fresh Rajma beans are available in local market or Pasar known as – kacang Joko. These are easy to cook, and you don’t have to soak it in water overnight also. Mixes well in the masala and tastes good.
- Vegan is a concept where we don’t use any dairy or animal produce. Vegans are vegetarians but vegetarians are not vegans – point to ponder.
- 1 tsp or teaspoon is approx. 4 grams, 3 teaspoon is 1 Tablespoon, 1 tbsp or tablespoon oil is approx. 14 grams.
HAPPY COOKING – by Amit Ganguly