The traditional Maharastrian Nauvari (also known as Nav Vari, Nauvaree, Kasta Sari, Kacha, Sakachcha, Lugade) is a nine yards saree worn by the women of Maharashtra. The name ‘Nauvari’ originated from the saree’s length of nine yards. The style of drape for Nauvari gives a trouser-dress like an appearance, while the sari is tucked at the back. Nauvari sarees usually come in cotton and is worn without a Petticoat, majorly by the Maharashtrian Brahmin women community.
Owing to its uniqueness, the general question about the Marathi style Saree wearing is how to drape the Saree? We help answering it in a few simple steps.
Your Challenge: We invite you to participate in our #7SareeStyleChallenge with Indoindians. Add your photograph or video or facebook live wearing the Maharashtrian style saree drape and post it on your facebook wall or the Indoindians Facebook with hashtags #indoindians #7SareeStyleChallenge #indoindiansSareeStory. Remember to tag @indoindians in your post 🙂 Invite your friends to participate too.
- A Paithani Saree
- A pair of cycling shorts and a matching blouse
- A nose pin,
- A bindi,
- Set of glass bangles
- Golden temple Jewelry
- A pair of comfortable footwear
- Few safety pins
- And around 4 Minutes
How to Drape Maharashtrian Style Saree
- Hold one end of the Saree and wrap a full circle around the waist.
- Taking few inches of both side edges, tie a knot around the waist center.
- Hold the shorter end at the bottom, bring it back under the legs and tuck it in the center back.
- Now, take the untied portion of the Saree and make 5-6 pleats and tuck it in around the waist center.
- Make 4-5 pallu pleats.
- Bring the pleats from around the back to the front, place it over the left shoulder and pin it up neatly.
Tips & Tricks
- Wear cycling shorts instead of inskirt for this drape style.
- Make sure to tie a tight knot around the waist center.
- Since, our footwear recommendation for this drape is flat-heels, you can always slip them on after the drape.
- Keep a few clamps and safety pins handy for quick pin-ups.
- Be ready with basic make-up.