Singapore has emerged as the most prestigious study destination in Asia, and in fact, can now compete with destinations across the world. this can be credited in part to its exemplary education system, and the stellar reputation enjoyed by its institutes of learning.
Singapore is a premier education hub in Asia, offering a rich and diverse mix of educational services in a safe, cosmopolitan environment. The island’s strong international reputation for quality education has drawn a legion of the world’s top institutes to Singapore. International students in Singapore enjoy a wealth of options at every level, whether they opt for mainstream education or niche areas.
Students, who have completed the Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘0’ Level qualification (equivalent to the Indian class 10) may apply to one of over 17 junior colleges in Singapore for a two-year pre-university course leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Levels examination. Select schools in Singapore also offer alternative, internationally recognised curricula and qualifications, such as the International Baccalaureate.
Singapore’s polytechnics are renowned for their market-driven and practice-based courses at a diploma level. The polytechnics offer three-year full-time diploma programmes that equip graduates with specialised industry knowledge in a wide range of disciplines. Many polytechnic graduates later/pursue degree studies at top local and foreign universities. There are currently five polytechnics in Singapore:
- Nanyang Polytechnics
- Ngee Ann Polytechnics
- Republic Polytechnics
- Singapore Polytechnics
- Temasek Polytechnics
Singapore’s three local universities rank among Asia’s best, and offer internationally recognised undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, as well as research and scholarship options in various disciplines. They consist of:
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore Management University
An array of leading international universities have established their presence in Singapore, either by setting up a campus or through collaborations with local universities. Leading universities with a campus in Singapore include:
- DigiPen Intitute of Technology
- SP Jain Centre of Management
- University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Private and speciality institutes
A vast range of quality, private education organisations adds furter diversity to the nation’s education landscape. The schools offer a broad range of programmes from certificate to postgraduate levels, in partnership with renowned universities from around the world. There are also several speciality institutions that offer international degrees in niche disciplines. Top private and speciality institutes include:
- LASALLE College of the Arts
- Management Development Institute of Singapore
- Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts
- PSB Academy
- Raffles Design Institute
- Singapore Institute of Management
- Tourism Management Institute of Singapore
Assurance Of Education Excellence
Singapore has a strong framework to govern the quality and delivery of private education.
- The CaseTrust for Education Scheme ensures student protection policies, as well as welfare practice and standards. All private schools in Singapore are required to have attained the CaseTrust for Education certification to enroll foreign students.
- The Singapore Quality Class for Private Education Organisations (SQC-PEO) Scheme serves as an industry benchmark for academic and business excellence. Private schools that have attained the SQC certification benefit from fast-track visa processing and waiver of security deposits.
Visit www.singaporeedu.gov.sg for complete listing of private schools that have attained the CaseTrust and SQC certifications)