Compared to non-dairy milk, almond milk is clearly the more popular of the bunch. But apparently, another choice has emerged, which is pistachio milk.
Read on to know more about pistachio milk!
What makes pistachio milk special?
Although pistachio milk is a new drink, its properties kicks it to the top of everyone’s favorites list. Homemade pistachio milk, particularly, is noted to be creamy in texture, ‘buttery’ and can be used in a variety of ways. These numerous factors make pistachio milk the new it-drink.
Benefits of Pistachio Milk
1. It froths!
As mentioned above, pistachio milk has something that other plant-based milk do not-it froths. This means that it can be made into various lattes that you can enjoy in addition to replacing regular milk for cereals and smoothie. Some have even gone as far to say that pistachio milk is the best non-dairy creamer used so far.
2. Caters to different diets
As it is a plant-based milk, it can be drunk by people with various different diets. Vegans, lactose intolerant folks and those with dairy allergy are some of the people who can drink it. The only downside for people with regular diets is that you will be giving up beneficial nutrition found in regular cow’s milk.
Just because we mentioned that it does not have the benefits of regular dairy milk, it does not mean that the nut is lacking of nutrients and vitamins for our health. Pistachio milk has more potassium than other non-dairy milk, yet it is also a great source of antioxidants, phytosterols, and heart-healthy fats.
4. Reduced amount of calories, sugar and carbs
Another factor is that pistachio milk contains less calories, sugar and carbs compared to oat milk.
Pistachio Milk Recipe
- 2 cups + 3 cups water
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Add the pistachios to a container and add in the 2 cups of water. Water should cover the pistachios completely. Place a lid over the container and place it in the fridge overnight for at least 6 hours to ideally 12 hours.
- The next day, uncover the pistachios and discard the water they were soaking in.
- Add the soaked pistachios to a blender along with 3 cups of water and a couple of pinches of salt.
- Blend the pistachios, salt, and water in a high-powered blender turned on high for a minute or until the pistachios are well blended and the liquid is creamy and pale green.
- Add in the almond extract, vanilla extract, and cardamom and blend for 5 seconds.
- Turn off the blender and strain the pistachio milk. You could use a strainer. Or, place a cheesecloth over a large glass container and stir batches of the blended pistachio milk through it. Or, you could use a cheesecloth and gather it up between pouring’s and squeeze the pistachio milk through it.
- Once strainer, place pistachio milk in an airtight glass bottle and store in the refrigerator.
Have you tried drinking pistachio milk? Share your opinion in the comments section below!