- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
(recipe follows; can substitute store-bought variety)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- Put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. When it starts to get hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger, and cook for 4 minutes, or until the onion is golden.
- Add the tomato paste, brown sugar, cumin seeds, garam masala, red pepper flakes, turmeric and salt, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken cubes, and stir well to coat. Add the yogurt and water and cook, stirring until the chicken is done, about 8 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with roti or rice.
TOTAL TIME: 27 min
Prep: 7 min
Cook: 20 min
YIELD: 4 servings
Source: Chef Bal Arneson