BASIC SPICE PASTE
- 25 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 12 gloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 in (5 cm) lengluas, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 in (5cm) kencur root, peeled and chopped
- 4 in (10cm) fresh turmeric (kunyit), peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 large red chilies, seeded and chopped
- 4 tbsp oil
- 3 gloves
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 candlenuts (kemiri)
- Pound all ingredients, except oil until coarsely ground.
- Heat oils in heavy pan or wok, add all ingredients and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until marinade turns golden.
Cool before using!