- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch broccoli 11 fl oz beer (use a can or bottle and save a swallow for the cook!)
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tblsp grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Saute’ the diced vegetables in butter.
- Mix flour and mustard into sautaed vegetables.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock to mixture and cook for five minutes.
- Break broccoli into small flowerets; cut stems into bite-sizes pieces. Steam until tender-crisp.
- Add beer and cheeses to the soup. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Check seasonings.
- To serve, place some broccoli into a soup bowl and ladle the soup over it.