Yield: 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion.
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger.
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced.
- 8 cups vegetable stock.
- 3 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch rounds.
- 2 cups milk.
- Kosher salt.
- Freshly ground pepper.
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium stock pot.
- Add the onion and saut over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook about 2 minutes, until the garlic is lightly browned.
- Add the stock and carrots to the saut and simmer over medium heat for about 45 minutes, until the carrots are very tender.
- Transfer the carrots and stock in batches to a food processor and pure with milk.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with chopped peanuts. Serve immediately.