FLUFFY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
The secret ingredient as it turned out after an anxious wait was – buttermilk. The recipe she sent is given below and do try it as it works!
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 4 eggs separated
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted
- Vegetable oil
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt onto sheet of waxed paper.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg yolks in large bowl. Beat flour mixture onto buttermilk mixture along with melted butter.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff, but not dry peaks form. Fold into pancake batter.
- Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Lightly brush with vegetable oil. Working in batches, ladle in scant 1/3 cup batter for each pancake; cook until set and bubbly on top, 2 minutes. Turn pancakes over;
- cook 1 minute, or until cooked through. Keep warm in 225 degree oven.
Serve with Maple Syrup, Fruit Jams or Ice Cream!
My Indian Recipe to make buttermilk here:
If you make butter from cream at home then it is easy to have a steady supply of buttermilk. How do you make butter at home?
Linda’s recipe for buttermilk substitute:
It’s not buttermilk exactly, but you’ll be able to use this formula in place of buttermilk whenever necessary. As a matter of fact this is most often referred to as “sour milk”. Here’s what you do: For each cup of buttermilk you need, you may substitute 1 cup minus one tablespoon of milk plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar.