JHATPAT SHAHI ALOO
Time Required: 15 minutes + pressure cooking time
- 12-16 baby potatoes
- 5-8 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions<
- 2.5-cm piece of ginger
- 1/2 tsp kalonji seeds
- 1-2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- pinch of turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 100 g khoya
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup warm water
For the garnish:
- 1 tbsp kishmish
- 1 tbsp cashewnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cream, optional
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- PARBOIL the baby potatoes and peel them.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadai and fry the potatoes till light golden in colour.
- Drain and set aside.
- Make a paste of the onions and ginger.
- In the remaining oil, add the following in this order to release their flavours:
The kalonji seeds,
red chilli powder,
turmeric powder and
the onion-ginger paste
- Fry till the oil starts separating. Add salt to taste, stir and add the khoya.
- Fry on low heat till the mixture turns light brown in colour.
- Add the garam masala powder.
- Add the potatoes, toss them well and add the water.
- Cook for two to three minutes till a thick gravy is formed.
- Pour into a serving platter. Garnish with the kishmish, cashewnuts, fresh cream (if using) and coriander leaves.
Serve hot with parathas.