Cheesecake doesn’t have to be packed with fat to be good. This delectable light cake is simple to make, low-low-low in fat, and delicious.
Serving: 8 slices
- Zest of 1 lemon, chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-2/3 cup low-fat (1%) cottage cheese
- 8 low-fat 2-inch x 2-inch graham crackers to make 2/3 cup graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and grease an 8-inch springform pan with margarine. You will also need an ovenproof pan large enough to hold the springform pan.
- Fill a pot or teakettle with water and start heating it to a boil.
- Place lemon zest, egg whites, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and cottage cheese in a blender and blend until very, very smooth (no lumps). Pour into springform pan.
- Carefully pour boiling water into large pan so it reaches about halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until cheesecake is set and cake tester comes out clean. Remove from pan from water and refrigerate cake in pan for at least 4 hours or overnight. It should be really cold. In a food processor, turn graham crackers into 2/3 cup fine crumbs.
- After cheesecake has been refrigerated for 4 or more hours, spread crumbs evenly over cake surface and gently pat them down. You may do this just before serving.
- Before serving, carefully run knife around edge of springform pan and remove sides.
Must Read: fluffy japanese cheesecake recipe