There are approx. 100 Maharashtrian families (from Western Indian state of Maharashtra, India) in Jakarta and are actively involved in various cultural activities organised here.
Maharashtra Mandal Jakarta (MMJ) is a socio-cultural organization in existence since 2008 representing Western Indian state of Maharashtra. It has successfully organised various events pertaining to Maharashtra Culture as well as the international cultural events. Programs that are hosted every year include Gudhi Padwa (Hindu New Year Celebrations), Ganeshotsav (day long prayer program during Aug / Sept), Diwali Pahat (Early morning musical program during Oct /Nov). Apart from these cultural programs to celebrate our important days, Marathi Mandal organises Photography workshops, light music evenings, group picnics, performances by renowned Stand-up comedians from India etc. Also have active participation in events like Independence Day Run, Holi celebrations etc also gives a feeling of togetherness with fellow Indians while staying in a relatively faraway place like Indonesia.
Objectives of MMJ
- Providing Marathi social & cultural platform to Indians based in Indonesia and interested in Marathi culture
- Enhancing our awareness of current social and cultural developments in Maharashtra and wider Marathi Diaspora
- Social appreciation of well-known Marathi literature, plays, cinema, music, social movements and culinary expertise
- Social celebration of Maharashtrian / Indian festivals & traditions
- Re-familiarize ourselves & our children about Marathi culture, its linkage with other linguistic cultural traditions in India and its place in world culture
- Establish linkages with Maharashtra Mandals in other countries and explore possibilities of Co-operation
- Any Indian family or individual based in Indonesia and interested in Marathi culture is potentially admissible as a Regular Member of MMJ irrespective their religion, caste or mother tongue.
- Each potential member is expected to provide basic profile including information about their profession, contact details, family members residing in Indonesia, etc. The format of the profile would be sent to potential members by email.
- The interest in Marathi culture needs to be spelt out in the profile outlining areas of interest e.g., literature, music, drama, sports, etc.
Special Interest Groups ( SIG )
A.Performing Arts Area (PAA) & Participatory Hobby Area ( PHA )
- Music – Vocal, Instrumental
- Dancing – Kaththak, Bharat Natyam, Bollywood
- Dramatics – Script, Direction, Acting, Stage Mgmt
- Fine Arts – Painting, Photography, Video Recording
- Literature – Novels, Stories, Poems
- Social Sciences – Movements, Globalization, Environment
- Sports – Cricket, Tennis, Swimming, Golf
- Food & Drinks – Maharashtrian, Indonesian
All correspondence to be sent to email@example.com