Its really simple – just rounds of flattened pastry dough, but tastes great with Indian pickles. The crunchy mathis are savory and sometimes spiced with zeera and ajwain for a zing.
- 2 cups plain flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp. Ghee
- 1/4 tsp. ajwain seeds
- Salt according to taste
- Warm water to make dough
- Ghee for deep frying
- Blend together maida and salt, rub in the ghee and then add enough water to make a smooth pliable dough.
- Make small thin rounds out of all the dough. Prick them on both sides with a fork. Allow to dry a bit for 20-30 minutes.
- Now heat oil/ghee in a pan and deep fry a few at a time to a pale gold color.
- Drain thoroughly and cool and store in air-tight containers.
Serve with Pickle!