Mirchi ka achar
- 1 to 11/2 cups (100 -150 gm) chopped green chilies ( cabe rawit or a mixture of cabe rawit and cabe keriting … hot or medium hot variety (hari mirch)
- 75-100 gram ginger (adrak)- grated
- 1 full (20-22 cloves) garlic(lehsun)-grated
- 1 roundel or 10 -15 grams jaggery (gurd) -grated
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds grounded or (rai powder)
- 1 tablespoons salt (namak)
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon red chilly (lal mirch)
- 1 cup mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
- 1 table spoon or 1 bottle cap of the local vinegar (cuka)
- ½ teaspoon Asafoetida powder (hing)
chopping green chilies
- Rinse and wipe dry the green chilies very well. There should be no trace of moisture in them. You can also let them dry on their own.
- Remove the crowns and chop the green chilies in 1 inch pieces.
- You may split some from the centre and leave some as a whole.
making green chilli pickle
- In a dry grinder or coffee grinder, powder the mustard seeds coarsely. Or you may take a pre-prepared powder of rai powder.
- Make the ginger garlic paste by finely grating ginger and garlic. Keep aside
- Smash or grate the jaggery separately. Keep aside.
adding mustard oil in chilli pickle
- Heat mustard oil till its smoking point. Let the mustard oil cool till it becomes warm or is slightly hot.. About 10 mins.
- On medium heat, add finely grated mixture of ginger garlic paste with the asafoetida powder .
- Keep stirring. Soon the ginger garlic will start to change its colour.
- Add the dry masala- turmeric, mustard seeds, chilli powder, salt.
- Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the grated jaggery.
- Stir for another minute till the jaggery melts in the mixture.
- Add the green chillies till they start to change colour and are still crispy.
- Add the vinegar/cuka, stir to mix.
- Let it cool for a while and then transfer it in the pickle jar.
- Let it completely cool now over the jar with its lid. The pickling process is complete now. Ready to eat right away.
- You may keep the pickle outside at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Serve green chili pickle as a side condiment with a simple Indian meal like dal-rice or curd-rice. The pickle can also be served with aloo paratha, gobi paratha, mooli paratha or even plain parathas or chapatis.