- 10 patra leaves with stems
- 1 small bunch ambat bhaji (sour greens)
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp. peanuts
- 1 tbsp. channa dal
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 bayleaf
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon-clove powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. black maharashtrian masala
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. gramflour
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Chop both greens coarsely.
- Peel stems and chop those too.
- Wash, drain, place in container of pressure cooker with chillies.
- Place channa dal and peanuts in another container of the cooker. Add 1/2 cup water to each container. Pressurecook for 4 whistles. Cool, remove and blend the boiled greens in a mixie or with hand beater.
- Add gramflour to 1/2 cup water, make a smooth paste keep aside. Heat oil, add cumin seeds, bayleaf, cardamoms, curry leaves and clove-cinnamon powder.
- Stir a minute and add boiled peanut and dal whole, with the water. Bring to a boil, add blended greens, masalas, salt, sugar, lemon.
- Add remaining water, stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Add gramflour paste. Stir continuously till boil resumes.
- Lower and simmer for 5-7 minutes. The consistency should be like that of kadhi (refer khichidis).
- Serve hot with masala bhath or bhakri.
Makes: 6-7 servings
Shelflife: Best fresh