Quick One Pot Sambhar by Vasanthi Ram
- Peel and half shallots – one handful.
- Wash and soak 1 cup of Toor daal for 15 mins.
- One lemon size tamarind juiced.
- Coconut milk powder 2 small sachets. or diluted coconut milk one cup.
- In a pressure cooker add 4 tbls of oil along with 1 tsp of mustard seeds and a whole red chill 1 cut into 2pcs.
- Add 1/2 tsp asofodetia.
- 1 tsp urad dal.
- keep the flame on medium and temper the above.
- To this add shallots fry 2mins and 2 green chillies cut length wise, plus
- 1 tbls sambar powder
- 1″tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp grated jaggery.
- Fry till you get a nice aroma and shallots turn medium brown.
- Add a little salt to flavor the shallots( not entire salt).
- Add tamarind juice and coconut milk bring to a boil.
- Add the soaked daal along with 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
- Pressure cook for 8 whistles.
- Cool and open.
- Add salt to taste.
- For a fresher taste you can temper again with a little oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves( optional)
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Adjust salt.pour on glass idly n enjoy!!