- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated boiled purple Ubi
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the buttermilk and the egg to the dry mixture and whisk just until combined.
- Add the Ubi to the pancake batter, and mix just until combined.
- Pour the pancake batter, to the desired pancake size, onto a well-greased griddle over medium heat. Continue to cook the pancakes on the first side just until small bubbles form on the outer edges of the pancakes, about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes to the second side and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Purple Ubi Soup
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 medium purple boiled sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Julienned ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Sour cream and chopped parsley as a garnish
- In a large pot, sautÃ© the onions, garlic and ginger in butter and oil.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut chunks directly into the pot. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of parsley if desired.
Purple Ubi Fritters
- 2 medium purple ubi half boiled, peeled and sliced thinly into discs
- 200gm gram flour
- Pinch of baking soda
- 300ml water
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chilies, chopped
oil for deep-frying
- Mix the flour, baking soda and water to a batter. Add the salt, chilies.
- Whisk thoroughly then leave to stand for 10 minutes. Heat the oil to smoking point.
- Dip the sweet potato pieces in the batter then slide into the hot oil a few at a time and fry until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot with chutney.
Purple Ubi Salad
- 3 purple sweet potatoes
- 1 green apple
- 1 spring onion diced
- Cilantro leaves
- 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- Boil, peel and dice sweet potatoes. Dice apple and chop onions.
- Mix and then season with salt, pepper, chaat masala. Squeeze lemon juice and garnish with cilantro leaves.