Registering the Birth of a Child in Indonesia



For foreigners who give birth in Indonesia, it will be necessary to get a local birth certificate before a foreign passport can be issued for your baby. Then, you will need to apply for a limited stay permit (KITAS visa) for your baby, which will follow the visa of the working spouse.

Our thanks to visitors to the Expat Forum for their advice on how to register the birth of a foreign child in Indonesia:

  • Prepare the following documents which you need at various steps in the process: parents’ passport, parents’ birth certificates, marriage
    certificate, parents’ KITAS/ KTP, kartu keluarga (for those with an Indonesian spouse). Buku Mutasi (blue immigration book).
  • Ask the hospital where the baby was born to provide you with a temporary birth document (Surat Tanda Kelahiran).
  • Take this document to register your baby at the local immigration office, even if it’s only a temporary registration. It shows your willingness to register and the staff should take your registration on good faith. You have 10 days after the baby’s birth to register the birth, but often it takes longer than that to get the official birth certificate.
  • Don’t let the officials tell you that you can’t have a middle or family name for your baby. I had to fight but finally got the birth certificate with three names.
  • Once you have the STK, you can use this to obtain a Birth Certificate, also through the hospital.
  • When you have the official birth certificate, return to the immigration office and re-register using the official birth certificate (if not already sufficient using STK) to obtain the Birth of Foreigner (Kelahiran Orang Asing) document.
  • According to Indonesian government regulations, you then have 60 days to obtain a passport for your newborn from your foreign embassy and take it back to immigration to get his/her KITAS and other necessary documents.
  • Alternately to the above, the hospital’s records department should be able to handle a lot of the documentation hassles for you, including the registration with immigration and a certified translation of the birth certificate for the foreign passport application. By using their services you can avoid the government corruption hassles (by paying the hospital department to handle it). It is not cheap but the price is posted and the service as efficient as it gets. A smile and a few words of Indonesian will help move things along!
  • Go to your embassy to organise the registration of your baby’s birth in your home country, using the local birth certificate and other documents as per your country’s regulations.
  • At the same time you will need to apply for a passport for your newborn, which will require several pieces of documentation (depending on the embassy). These could include:
      • proof of citizenship – i.e., by naturalisation, birth or otherwise, requiring ORIGINAL birth certificates of foreign father/parents, passport or other documents, and
      • original, or certified copy, of marriage documents.
  • Once you have the baby’s passport in hand, then you need to return to the Indonesian immigration office to get the KITAS visa stamped in the baby’s passport, get the KITAS card, buku mutasi, etc. Needed to apply for the KITAS:
    • Surat Keterangan (work letter)
    • Passport of both parents and child
    • KTP or KITAS from mother
    • Kartu Keluarga ( if spouse is Indonesian)
    • Surat Lapor ( the Registration letter that you have to get within 10 days from the immigration office)
    • Birth certificates of child and both parents
    • Marriage certificate
    • Buku Mutasi (blue foreigner’s book of father)
    • Surat Sponsor (sponsor’s letter). If your wife is Indonesian then she can be the sponsor, if not you need a sponsorship letter from your employer. Best to take a sponsorship letter from your employer just in case.
    • Bring at least 2 photocopies of all documents, or make them at the photocopier just outside the office.
  • Once you’ve applied you can get the KITAS after 3 days.
  • Remember that the child follows the expiration date of the father’s KITAS. This is very important. No later than one month before the expiration date of the father’s KITAS you need to report your child to the immigration department. There’s a US$25 fine for not reporting.
  • So if your spouse is Indonesian, the child can be sponsored by the mother but follows the dates of the father’s BUKU biru.
  • Once you get the baby’s passport and he/she is registered with immigration and has been issued a KITAS, don’t forget to get an exit visa for the baby as well, just in case you need to take him/her out of Indonesia quickly.

Fees will vary depending on your “fix-it facilitator”, the immigration office and the embassy. The most expensive part of this process may be the registering of birth at the foreign embassy and issuing of the foreign passport.

First and foremost, don’t forget to report to the Immigration office within 10 days. As soon as you have any birth document from the hospital, bring it to the Immigration office. If you delay this notification, you will have to pay penalty fees! One recent poster to the forum said that they had to pay US$30 for every day that they were late!

source :