Rica is a of the special Sambal from Manado, North Sulawesi. In Manadonese language, “rica” means “spicy” or “chilies”. It pretty much implies how this Sambal tastes like.
Sambal Rica perfectly complements fried chicken or fish. Some people often sauté chicken with this Sambal, completed with vegetables. Sambal Rica is simply irresistible for spicy food lovers!
No need to go to Manado to enjoy this Sambal. You can make this at home.
- 5 cloves of shallots
- 10 red chilies
- 7 Thai chilies
- 1cm of ginger
- 2 lemongrass, slice thin
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil for sautéing
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- Grind shallots, ginger, lemon grass, and all of chilies using stone mortar, set aside
- Heat the vegetable oil, sauté the chili paste until fragrant. Wait until the paste’s color turns into the darker shade of red
- Add salt, sugar, and lime juice, mix well until perfectly cooked.
Now you only need to prepare hot steamed rice and your favorite food. Sambal Rica goes well with lalapan too. Bon appétit!