Tomato rice is plain steamed rice cooked with tangy and spicy mixture of tomato, onion, coriander leaves and Indians spices.This is popular South Indian style rice preparation. In Tamil language it is known as Thakkali Sadam.
- Raw/Long grained Rice : 1 cup
- Tomatoes – Ripe : 4 No
- Onions – Chopped : 3 No
- Green chillies – Cut : 2 No
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies : 6 No
- Coriander seeds : 2 tsp
- Bengal gram dal : 3 tsp
- Urad dal : 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Peanuts : 2 tbsp
- Cooking oil : 3 tbsp
- Few Curry leaves
- Pressure cook or use rice cooker to cook rice and spread on a plate to cool.
- Fry the red chillies, coriander seeds, bengal gram dal, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida. Grind to a fine powder and set aside.
- Puree the chopped tomatoes and strain the juice. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat the tomato juice, salt and turmeric powder, simmer till it thickens. Add the ground masala powder and mix well.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil add the mustard seeds, peanuts and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds splutter, add chopped green chillies and onions and fry for a few minutes till it turns golden brown. Mix in the rice and the tomato concentrate
1. To keep rice grains separated, prepare steamed rice a few hours in advance.
2. Serve tomato rice with yogurt and papad