Makes 4-5 servings
- 1 kg young jackfruit, peeled and sliced into 5x5x3 cm slice. Soak the slices in plenty of cold water
- 100 g melinjo leaves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cm fresh galangale (lengkuas), bruised
- 750 ml coconut milk and 500 ml thick coconut milk from 1½ coconut
Spice Paste ingredients :
- 10 small shallots
- 7 small cloves garlic
- 10 candlenuts (kemiri)
- 1 tbs. coriander seeds
- salt to taste
- a pinch of sugar
- Boil the jackfruit slices in the thin santan together with the melinjo leaves, the spice-paste, salam leaves and lengkuas until the jackfruit is tender.
- Add the thick coconut milk (santan). Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally. Continue simmering until done.