- 1 cup olive oil
- 300gm minced veal
- 300gm minced pork
- 1 kg onion peeled and sliced
- 1 kg tomato peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp herb de provence
- 2 glasses full bodied red wine (preferably Shiraz)
- 1 cup chopped continental parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 100 gm shaved parmesan
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Fry the onion in oil. Set aside.
- Fry the meat in the remaining oil until no more water comes from the meat. Set aside.
- De-glaze hot pan with red wine and reduce by half.
- In a pot, bring to a gentle boil all the remaining ingredients, add cooked meat and cooked onion.
- Cook on low fire for 4 hours, without lid, stirring from time to time.
Recipe courtesy of Emmanuel & Stroobant, Saint Pierre Restaurant