Daal Mutton and Chana Daal: is a Rajasthani Frontier Preparation – Popular on Pakistani Side as shared by Pradeep Sainani at the 5th What’s Up Chef cookery demo & tasting event: Men Special
Ingredients (Serves 4):
Mutton ½ kg with or without bones options
Chana Daal 150 – 175 gms soaked in water for I hour. Then rinse. (250-275 gms for recipe chana daal below)
Veg cooking Oil 100 ml
Ghee or Butter to taste.
Masalas (dry Spices):
1 Teaspoon each of
- Coriander Powder
- Red Chilly Powde
- Himalayan Salt
½ Tea spoon Tumeric powder.
Whole Kali Mirch 8-10 pcs
Lavang (Clove) 5-6 Pcs
4 Green (Small cardamom
2-3 cinnamon sticks – all about 1 ½ Table spoon. (Not powdered).
1 Tea spoon Garam Masala.
2 – 3 Large red Onion Slice large pieces.
Green Long Chilly split in Half 7-8 Pcs.
Cabe Rawit 4-5 fine cut (To Level desired) (usually its eaten very hot & spicy).
2-3 Bay leaves
1 Tomato without pulp sliced
4-5 Garlic piece sliced small
1 Ginger piece sliced small.
Coriander leaves to Garnish.
Here it’s in pressure cooker – best is to cook in Ceramic Pot or in a Deep Thick Indian Traditional DEGCHI Pan.
- Full flame – Heat Veg Oil in P. Cooker, add Dry spices B. Without grinding in the oil together with chopped Onion until Onion and roast until Onion turns light brown.
- Add Mutton and keep stirring for a while, add Garlic and Ginger, stir for 2 more minutes. Add all dry spices as in A. With Bay Leaves. Continue roasting.
- Add 50 ml water and continue to stir and roast for another 2 minutes.
- When you see Oil and water separating, add ½ cup water, stir.
- Add tomato now. Stir.
- 5-7 minutes heat p cooker (2 to 3 Whistles to tenderize mutton depending on age of goat)
- Open lid, roast further 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce Flame to Mid low. Remove some oil (Tari) by turning cooker on one side and keep separately for use later.
- Add soaked Chana Daal and stir / roast.
- Add Water until all pieces of mutton and daal are immersed in water.
- Close lid and allow 2-3 more whistles of p cooker. Leave it for a while to cool down.
- Daal is preferred to remain whole, some people mash it to turn Daal to a thin gravy paste.
- Add fresh cut Coriander Leaves, Fresh cut ginger, Garam masala (C). Stri again.
- Take off the heat.
- In a Sauce pan heat 2 tablespoon Veg Oil, add Jeera and stir until pinkish, add chopped onion until brown, add 2 table spoon of removed oil (in 8 above) and add a spoon of ghee or Butter.
- Immediately pour in the Daal Mutton Preparation, add Coriander leaves.
- Ready to serves. Add lime or lemon to your taste.
Veg CHANA DAAL ( Onion Masala)
- Use a thick Medium size Pan, prefably. Not in Pressure Cooker.
- Use steps 1,2 without Mutton, 3-4, then 5 and 9 together, then 8 to remove some oil for Tadka Later. Add only ½ – ¾ of a Cup Water more depending on thickness one wants. (Usually eateb thick).
- Leaves Pan covered with a Lid on medium Heat for 7-8 Minutes, check Daal if its whole – yet cooked, move to next step:
- Steps 13 to 16
- Ready to serve.