PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 35 mins
TOTAL TIME 45 mins
Basic eggless chocolate cake recipe made with whole wheat flour. the cake is soft and moist and can be used a base cake for various chocolate frosting.
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour/atta, levelled, 120 gms (you can use all purpose flour/maida also)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup sugar, 150 gms
- 1 cup cold water, 250 ml
- ¼ cup oil or melted butter, 60 ml
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder
for the cocoa frosting:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp sugar or add as required
for the cake:
- first grease a round baking pan of 15 cm diameter x 5cm height with oil.
- preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- sift 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, ½ tsp baking soda in a plate. use good quality cocoa powder.
- In another pan or bowl, take ¾ cup sugar.
- Add 1 cup cold water and stir so that the sugar dissolves.
- now add ¼ cup oil or melted butter. Stir briskly so that everything is mixed well.
- next add 1 tbsp lime juice. Stir again.
- now add ½ tsp vanilla extract or powder.
- add the sieved dry ingredients to the wet mixture. using a wired whisk, mix everything well.
- there should be no lumps in the cake batter. the batter is not thick but thin.
- pour the cake batter in the prepared cake pan.
- tap the sides of the cake pan so that the extra air bubbles are let out.
- bake the cake in a preheated oven for 200 degrees Celsius for 35 to 40 mins. since temperatures vary from oven to oven, do keep a check. for baking in a convection mode of microwave oven, preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. then bake the cake at 180 degrees Celsius for the 30 to 35 minutes.
- for doneness check the cake with a tooth pick. the tooth pick should come out clean. once the cake becomes warm or cools down, unmold and place it on a wired rack. if the tooth pick is sticky, then place the cake bake in the oven and continue to bake for some more minutes. before frosting let the cake cool completely.
for the frosting:
- take 2 tbsp butter and 4 tbsp sugar in a saucepan.
- heat and melt the butter. also the sugar should dissolve. once the sugar has dissolved switch off the stove top. the sugar should be just dissolved. we don’t need to cook the sugar in its various stages.
- next add 4 tbsp cocoa powder.
- with a spatula stir so that the cocoa powder gets mixed evenly with the butter-sugar mixture.
- add 3 tbsp milk. stir very well. to make a slightly thick frosting, you can also add 2 tbsp milk. the cocoa frosting is ready.
- while still hot, spread the frosting on the cake as well as the sides with a spatula. you can also slice the cake in halve and spread frosting in the center and then on the top. usually i wrap a medium sized plate with aluminum foil and then keep the cake on it. this make the frosting work easier. this time i just kept the cake directly on the plate. keep the cake covered in the fridge for the frosting to set. you can use a dome shaped bowl to cover the cake. make sure the there is enough space between the cake and the bowl which you are using for covering the cake.
- the frosting will set after some hours. i kept overnight.
- next day, sieve some icing sugar and cocoa powder on the cake. this is optional.
- slice and serve the the egg less chocolate cake.
instead of lime juice, add same quantity of white vinegar or apple cidar vinegar.