EGGLESS SPONGE CAKE
- 1/2 tin condensed milk (200gms)
- 2 3/4 cups plain flour (280gms)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (soda bicarb)
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted (60gms)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 ml milk
- 100 ml soda water
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, all together 2 to 3 times. Keep aside.
- Pour condensed milk in a bowl. Add the butter, and beat well till smooth. Add the flour spoon by spoon, mixing into the condensed milk mixture. In between, add milk as required if the butter begins to get too stiff.
- [Stir the mixture in one direction only all the while. This will incorporate more air and make the cake lighter].
- Once all the flour is used up, beat the batter as above till light (5-7 minutes). Add the soda and mix gently till smooth.
- Pour into a greased cake tin. Do not smooth with a spoon etc. If the consistency is right this will not be needed.
- Pre-heat over to 300o c. Place tin inside. Bake at 200o c for 5-7 minutes and 150o c till done. (35 to 40 minutes).
- Poke with a skewer and check. Cool a little. Invert on wire rack. Cool completely before doing icing if any. Or serve warm with tea.