- 500 gms maida (flour)
- 1kg khoya
- 3tbsps kismis (raisins)
- 200 gms almonds (cut into thin strips)
- 6 tbsps cooking oil. ( keep some more aside for deep frying)
- 200 ml water
- 500 gms sugar
- Mix six tablespoons of oil with maida. Using fingers, mix well so that the mixture takes the form of breadcrumbs and binds to a certain extent. Now add some water and knead lightly. Keep adding water as required and knead into a soft dough. Set aside and cover with a damp cloth.
- Put the khoya in a deep-frying pan and fry to a light brown colour. Add sugar into the khoya and mix well. Add almonds and kismis. Fry for a few minutes and remove from the fire. Let it cool.
- Roll out the kneaded dough into a chapati, thicker and smaller than a normal chapati. Fill half the chapati with the khoya mixture, fold the chapati and seal the round, twisting the edges inwards. Take care that the filling does not ooze out.
- Deep fry these gujjiyas, a few at a time, till they are a deep golden brown. Fry on a slow fire. When done, take them out with a sieve type ladle, draining the oil completely. Let them drain further on a spread out newspaper, till all the grease is soaked up.
If you have a different recipe, do share with us at [email protected]