Play-dough is a fun toy for children. Not only does it come in various colors, it also trains their creativity to shape it any way they want. Luckily, you can make it within the comforts of your own home, making it a place of boundless creativity. Make sparkly red and green creations!
You Will Need :
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 3/4 cup of salt
- 1 tbsp. cream of tartar
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups white flour
- waxed paper
- red and green food coloring
- 5 small bowls
- mixing spoon
- silver or gold glitter
How to do it ?
- Kids can help measure water, salt, cream of tartar, vegetable oil and flour into five small bowls. As adult cooks, kids can hand each bowl of ingredients to adult.
- Adult should boil water in a saucepan. When water is boiling, turn the heat down to simmer and add the salt.
- Slowly stir in cream of tartar. Add the vegetable oil next and then add the flour.
- Continue to stir the mixture until it has the consistency of mashed potatoes. If it seems very dry, add a tablespoon of water. If it seems too wet, continue to stir the mixture over a low burner until the mixture has the desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat and allow the dough to cool for a few minutes. When dough is cool enough for kids to touch, divide it into two equal parts and spoon each part onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Kids can knead the dough with their hands. As they mix, add red food coloring to one ball of dough and green food coloring to the other.
- Have kids sprinkle some silver or gold glitter into the dough.
- When colors and glitter are mixed into the dough, kids can make all sorts of Christmastime creations!
If kids want to save their creations, let them air dry for two or three days. Store any leftover dough in a sealed container in the refrigerator. If it dries out a bit, just add a few drops of water. Dough should last for about a month.