Ice cream is a favorite delicious and cold dessert, which is perfect for summer months. Vegan ice cream with coconut milk as the main ingredient, is just as delicious and contrary to popular belief, you don’t need ice cream maker to make it at home.
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sweetener, such as agave syrup, maple syrup, honey, cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, or 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional flavoring: nuts, strawberries, peaches, caramel sauce, etc.
Equipment you need:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2-quart saucepan
- Wooden spatula
- Glass or plastic dish, for cooling the base
- Ice cream machine (at least 1 1/2 quart capacity)
- Plastic wrap
- Freezer container, such as a loaf pan or pint container
- Parchment or wax paper
- Shake the coconut milk, to mix all the separated ingredients within the can.
- First, set aside 1/2 cup coconut milk into a small bowl.
- Pour the measured amount of coconut milk into a saucepan.
- Pour the rest into another saucepan.
- Put in the sweetener and salt to the second pan.
- Warm the coconut milk over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until everything is completely mixed into the coconut milk for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in starch and whisk into the first batch of coconut milk. Continue whisking until everything is dissolved.
- Combine all of the coconut milk together.
- You can do this by whisking the mixture gently while you pour in the coconut milk into the warm batch.
- Now, you can heat the ice cream base until thickened. To make sure that it is warmed correctly, raise the heat to medium and wait until the base has coated the back of the spoon, which approximately takes about 6 to 8 minutes. Do not let it come to boil.
- After it is done, remove the ice cream base from the head and stir in the vanilla.
- Now, it is time to chill the base. Leave the ice cream to cool down before being put into the refrigerator. Cover the top of the container with plastic wrapping.
- All you need is a baking pan. Pour the ice cream into the pan and freeze for a few hours. Take out the coconut ice cream and mix everything every few hours. Soon, your ice cream will harden and will be ready to be served.
- When ready for serving, it will be better to warm the ice cream slightly so it would not be too hard for scooping. Be aware that coconut ice cream melts quicker than milk based ice creams, so don’t let it wait too long!
Storage Tip: This ice cream can be frozen for up to 2 months.
When making this ice cream, don’t forget to add your preferred toppings! Whether it is nuts, fruits or caramel sauce, these will surely add taste and flavoring to your ice cream. This homemade ice cream is also healthier as it has no other chemical ingredients and can be eaten even for those who are lactose intolerant.
What do you think about this recipe? Tell us in the comments section below!