In India, teas are defined by the regions in which they are grown. Therefore we have :
- Darjeeling Tea
- Assam Tea
- Nilgiri Tea
- Orissa Tea
“Chai“ is the hindi word for Tea. Indian tea is full bodied and strong. Known throughout the world and adored by millions. Today Indian teas come in a wide range of flavors and strengths.
To be invited for a cup of tea, to an Indian house, means that not only will you get a cup of tea, but you will be served aÂ plethora of yummy snacks. Indians are well known for their hospitality. So if you get invited for a cup of tea to an Indian house don’t refuse the invitation, go and have a wonderful time.
Make that plain cup of tea into “Masala” tea!
Spices used in making Masala Indian Tea
Some of the common spices that are added to a cup of Indian tea are :
- Black peppercorn
- Saunf (fennel seeds)
You do not have to add all the spices to make masala chai. Sometimes ” Ginger tea” or “Cardamom tea” is a great alternative. Today you will find a ready made “Masala Tea” mixture in many specialty Indian grocery stores. It is found in a powdered form. You use only a pinch at a time.
- ½ cups water
- 2/3rd cup whole milk
- 6 tsp. sugar
- 3 teaspoons any un-perfumed loose black tea
- 4 single tea bags (Lipton)
- 1/4th teaspoon Masala Tea mixture
- or a “2” piece of fresh ginger
- a pinch of Cardamom powder
Make the same recipe without the masala tea spice mixture for a wonderful cup of plain Indian tea. This traditional recipe is used by many. There are many that like to use half-and-half instead of whole milk. They say that no other milk can be substituted, if you really want the taste of “real chai”. But, if you are a tea lover and want tea twice a day,Â then you can always use 2% or even skim milk.
|My Morning Cup Of Tea
From Your Indian Gourmet… Indoindians
- We make our morning cup of tea with 3/4th cup hot water,
- 2 bags of Lipton tea in a microwave able cup.
- Heat on high for 1 minute and 25 seconds………….in our microwave ……..your microwave might be different! Let it sit for about 10-20 seconds.
- Remove the bags pressing out the tea.
- Top it off with milk ( use any you prefer, I use 2%)
- and add sugar or sugar substitute. Enjoy!
|Other Uses of Tea
- Natural Hair Conditioner : Boil water. When the water starts to boil, add tea leaves/bags. Remove from the stove. Strain immediately. This will make a weak infusion of tea. Cool this weak tea. Rinse hair with this mild tea infusion. Leave to dry. Rinse with water. Hair will turn shiny.
- Skin Vitalizer : Dab a cold, used tea-bag, on the skin. Leave to dry. With regular use your skin should have a healthy glow.
- Getting rid of black rings under your eyes : Place a cold, used tea-bag, on each eye daily. Relax and watch the difference after a few weeks.
- Natural agent for aiding in curing Cancer Cardiovascular disease : Scientific discoveries suggest that tea has Flavnoids, an antioxidant that combats free radicals in the body responsible for cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- As a cure for Arthritis : According to the scientisists at Case Western University in CleavelandÂ “Tea contains compounds that may help reduce inflammation and help arthritis. Scientists took two groups of mice and gave them injections of a substance that causes immune reactions similar to those due to rheumatoid arthritis. One group had regular water to drink and the other got water laced with polyphenols, chemicals found in green tea and, to a lesser extent in black tea. Nearly all the mice that drank regular water got arthritis-like symptoms, compared to less than half of the treated mice.”