This is my favorite Indonesian sweet widely available during the fasting month in little plastic glasses at roadside hawkers in the evening. The sweet potato dumplings in palm sugar syrup with some coconut milk is comfort food at its best.
– 1 kg sweet potato (boiled and peeled)
– 100 gm Tapioca starch powder
– 500 gm brown sugar
– 500 cc Water
– 1 ltr coconut milk
– 2 pandan leaves
– Salt to taste
1. Mash 3/4 of the sweet potato and mix with flour and salt.
2. Roll the sweet potato dough into marble-size balls (this is the biji salak).
3. Bring water to boil in a pan and add the sweet potato balls.
4. Cook till the dough balls float up,remove and drain.
5. Add brown sugar and water until dissolved, add the remaining pureered sweet potatoes and mix well.
6. Once the sweet mixture comes to a boil and has thickened,add salak seeds, stir well and remove from heat.
7. Serve with coconut milk cooked with pandan leaves and salt to taste.