- 750 g medium prawns
- 12 Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 12 garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp tamarind pulp
- vinegar for grinding
- 150 g onions, chopped
- 8 green chillies, chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander leaves, chopped
- 2.5-cm piece ginger
- 200 g tomatoes, pureed
- 3 tbsp oil
- 10 g garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Shell, devein, wash and pat dry the prawns.
- Grind together the red chillies, peppercorns, turmeric powder, eight of the garlic cloves, salt to taste and tamarind in vinegar without adding any water.
- Marinate the prawns in this ground masala for half an hour.
- Grind together the ginger and remaining four cloves of garlic to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a kadai and fry the onions till golden brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Stir a while, then add the marinated prawns and fry on medium heat.
- Add the tomato puree, stir well, cover the kadai and simmer till the prawns are cooked.
- Add the sugar and garam masala powder and serve.
This dish is best eaten with rice or rotis.
Prawn TIP :
Never cook your prawns for more more than a few minutes, be sure your flame is high, if you stir fry your prawns for more than a few minutes, they will go hard and are not easy to chew when eating. Its best to simmer the prawns in hot water for a few minutes, just before cooking, when cooking it takes a few minutes for the prawns to be ready to eat.