Klappertaart is a dessert from Manado, North Sulawesi. The interesting part about this dish is that it contains remarkable Dutch influences, reflected from its name meaning ‘coconut cake’ or ‘coconut tart’. The crunchy taste of coconut is deliciously contrasting with the soft texture of the mousse with sweet and sour taste of raisins. A sprinkle of cinnamon added on top adds the spiciness to the dessert. This is a dish that would add a uniquely Dutch flavor to your Indonesian Christmas. Give it a try!
- 200 cc egg white
- 250 gr sugar
- 50 gr butter
- 50 gr margarine
- 100 gr flour
- 250 cc evaporated milk (or UHT milk as substitute)
- 400 cc young coconut water
- 175 cc white sweetened condensed milk
- 50 cc thick cream (or extra light cream as substitute)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond essence (or vanilla as substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 can of young coconut (350 gr or 1 young coconut sliced to taste)
- 7 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 100 gr sliced almond (if any, heat in oven for a while)
- 100 gr raisins
- Beat all topping ingredients until thick and stiff, then set aside.
- Melt the butter and margarine, add flour, stir until flour is cooked.
- Add evaporated milk (or UHT milk as substitute) and coconut water, while stirring until there are no lumps.
- Turn off the fire.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and thick cream (or extra light cream as substitute), then stir with a whisker or a mixer.
- Add almond essence (or vanilla essence as substitute), cinnamon powder, lime juice, young coconut and egg yolks one by one while continuously stirring with a whisker or a mixer.
- Add the egg whites and mix well.
- Pour mixture in a heat-resistant dish that is greased.
- Bake in microwave for 7 minutes at high temperature.
- Remove from microwave, add topping ingredients, then sprinkle with almonds (if any) and raisins.
- Bake in oven at a temperature of 325 Fahrenheit or 170 Celsius until cooked and topping turns brown. The duration of the baking process depends on the condition of the oven.
- Keep it in the freezer for one night before serving.
- If you don’t have a microwave, you can bake the Klappertaart in the oven from beginning. Another way that you can do at step 7 is to mix the topping with the other ingredients, sprinkle almonds (if any) and raisins on top, and then bake it all in the oven at a temperature of 325 Fahrenheit of 170 Celsius. Wait until everything is cooked and the topping turns brown.