When I write of mango, I have no doubt in my mind, no for a single moment, that this is the king of all fruit. The luscious fruit has such a wonderful colour, fragrance and taste, one can go on eating it.
Though this bounty of nature is available for hardly 4 months in the whole year, one tends to stretch his means and go beyond normal efforts to enjoy this wonderful fruit for as long as possible.
Unripe mangoes can be used to make fresh vegetable and marmalade too.
The ripe mango is used most of all and first of all to cut and relish as they are. The slices are eaten, leaving behind the skins. Mango pulp can be preserved or frozen and used much later, when the season has gone.
Fresh ripe mango are cut in cubes and served with hot phulkas/chappatis, as a substitute to the daily drudge of vegetables.
The ripe mango can be used in a limitless variety of puddings, ice-creams, shakes, jellies, pies, desserts and sweet dishes.
The best you enjoy this fruit to the fullest and in its most varied forms, and even stash some away for later, when you yearn for it.
Store the mangoes in freezer for using in off seasons:
1. Choose fully ripe but not overripe, or even slightly spoiled mangoes.
2. Peel and cut into large slices with a clean stainless steel knife.
3. Discard the stones.
4. Sprinkle some castor sugar at the base of a freezer container.
5. You may use freezer-proof plastic see-through containers for convenience.
6. Make sure the lids are airtight.
7. Pile about 2 inches of mango slices.8.Sprinkle some more sugar.
8. Repeat till container is full or mangoes are exhausted.
9. Top with a final layer of castor sugar.
10. Pack down tightly with a flat spoon. Close lid tightly and freeze.
|Mango Nutrient Information*|
|Serving size: 3 1/2 ounces mango slices|
|* Not recommended for labeling purposes|
- Mangos are an excellent source of Vitamins A and C, as well as a good source of Potassium and contain beta carotene.
- Mangos are high in fiber, but low in calories (approx. 110 per average sized mango), fat (only 1 gram) and sodium.
- Mangos are a good staple for your daily