Craving for risotto but don’t want a heavy rice dish? You can opt for shrimp risotto using barley instead. Not only will this dish fill you up significantly-but it is nutritious without making you feel heavy and full like rice dishes do.
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth (fat skimmed)
- 1 tbsp oiive oil
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (green cucumber) or carrot
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup barley (pearled variety is fine)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 gm prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large non-pan skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot/zucchini and onion saute 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add barley; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup broth cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2cup broth and salt. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently untii each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes). Add prawns cook 4 minutes. Stir in cheese, butter, and pepper.