Ingredients for spicy fried tempe:
- 2 cakes fermented soybean cake (tempe), cut in long narrow strips and deep fried
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup fried peanuts
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 red chilies, sliced
- 2.5 cm (1 in) galangal (lengkuas), peeled and sliced
- 5 tbl chopped palm sugar
- 3 tbl water
- 1 tbl tamarind juice
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the tempe and set aside.
- Heat the oil and saut the shallots, garlic, chilies and galangal for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the palm sugar, water and tamarind juice and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Put in the tempe and peanuts, cook and stirring frequently, until sauce has reduced and caramelized.
- Season to taste with salt.