Are you finding it difficult to get out of bed in the morning for your daily walk and are you making up excuses to skip workout time? Even the most dedicated exercisers occasionally get bored with their routine. Waning motivation, cutting short and not having your old enthusiasm are signs of a stale exercise regimen.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t re-energize your routine. Check out the following
10 tips for staying motivated to stay active.
- Vary your routine or change your scenery! A new variation on your favorite activity cardio kickboxing instead of Step aerobics; TRX training instead of working on machines may be enough to reinvigorate a stale routine. If you’ve always exercised indoors, move your workout outside for a welcome change of scenery.
- Try something entirely new! Make it something you never dreamed you’d do. If you’ve always stuck to solitary pursuits, sign up for a team sport. Or tackle something you’ve shied away from… maybe even rock climbing!
- Find a workout buddy! Exercise companions add a social element to any routine. Ask a friend or hire a personal trainer to be your workout partner you won’t skip a workout if someone is waiting for you.
- Set a new goal! Working out to stay in shape is fine, but setting a goal such as finishing a 10k race will give your daily workouts more meaning.
- Treat yourself to a workout gadget or accessory! Heart rate monitors, aquatic toys and other exercise gadgets can make your workouts more fun and challenging.
- Keep an exercise log to track your progress! Unsure if you’re making progress toward your goals? Then start a workout log. It allows you to keep track of your goals, monitor your progress and adjust your routines as necessary.
- Don’t berate yourself if you miss a workout! Life is full of obstacles. Unexpected appointments, illness and setbacks are bound to happen sooner or later. Don’t let a few missed workouts turn into a month of unfulfilled resolutions.
- Reward yourself! Reaching a fitness goal or milestone is a great excuse to treat yourself to something new. A massage, an evening out, or some other “indulgence” may be the key to staying motivated.
- Focus on how good exercise makes you look and feel! You know that incredibly satisfied and healthy feeling you get immediately after a workout? Remember it! And use it to motivate yourself the next time you’re thinking about blowing off that next workout!
- If all else fails… take a break from exercise! Sometimes a lack of motivation is your body’s way of telling you to take a break. If anything hurts, or if your energy is running low, take a break for a few days before resuming your workouts. A little “R&R” may be just what your body needs to renew your motivation