Sticky Date Cake recipe shared from the kitchen of Meera Joseph.
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup fine white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
90 grams butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup glaced ginger, chopped (optional)
250 grams dates, seedless & chopped
1 ½ cups water
- Preheat the oven to 325°F/170°C
- Boil the dates and ginger in the water
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, cool to a lukewarm temperature
- Beat butter and sugar well, add eggs and beat further until creamy.
- Fold in flour and dates mixture with a metal knife.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 8 inch pan
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour only half the caramel sauce over the cake and further bake for 5 minutes.
- Serve the cake warm with the remaining hot sauce
- The cake can be microwaved for a minute before serving
Caramel sauce topping
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cream
125 grams butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Stir all ingredients over low heat to dissolve brown sugar
- Bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes
- Serves 8
shared by Meera Joseph.
Do share your baking feedback on this recipe in the comments below.