If you’ve never eaten a mango curry before, you have no idea what you’ve been missing. This simple summery stew is spicy, sweet, salty and savory, with a velvety smoothness that coats your tongue. A vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and soy-free recipe.
- 2 ripe full flavored mangoes
- 2 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 Tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼-1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 4 dry red chilies
- 20 curry leaves
- 1 ½ piece of ginger-cut into fine juliennes
- 6 green chilies – slit
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Cut mango into long segment with the skin on (optional) or peel and cut the mango. Save the seeds, remove the pulp from the seeds and keep aside.
- Head ghee in a wide wok or pan. Do not let it smoke.
- Add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Add fenugreek seeds and let them brown slightly to release their aroma..
- Add dry red chilies, curry leaves and juliennes of ginger.
- Add coconut milk, let it simmer for 2 minutes stirring constantly so as not to curdle.
- Add salt and green chilies.
- Add yogurt.
- Add mango slices and pulp.
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove and serve with plain basmati rice.
Shared generously by Nina Taneja