A book review is a description and an evaluation of a book that you have read. Book reviews are so helpful because they inform future readers about books they may be interested in reading. Often, a book review will influence other readers by telling them a little bit about what the story is about, as well as if is is worth reading or not!
The most important thing to remember is that book reviews DO NOT give away the ending! If it is a good book, the reader will not want to spend time reading it if he/she already knows the ending.
4 Steps to Follow When Writing a Book Review :
Note: You do not have to answer every question, these are only suggestions to guide your writing.)
1. Write at least 3-4 sentences about the plot
- What was the story about?
- Who were the main characters?
- What did the main characters do in the story?
- Did the main characters run into any problems?
- Did the main characters have any adventures?
- Who was your favorite character? Why?
2. Your personal experiences
- Could you relate to any of the characters in the story?
- Have you ever done some of the things or felt some of the same things that the characters did?
3. Your opinion
- Did you like the book?
- What was your favorite part of the book?
- Do you have a least favorite part of the book?
- If you could change something in the book, what would it be?
- (If you wish you could change the ending, remember not to tell the ending to the story you read!)
4. Your recommendation
- Would you recommend this book to another person?
- What type of person would like this book?