- 1/2 cup yellow gram dal
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
- 1 tsp. black maharashtrian masala (refer masalas)
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. dhania (coriander seed) turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp. oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp. each cumin & mustard seeds
- Wash and soak dal for 15 minutes. Pressure cook till very soft (4 whistles). Cool cooker and remove. Drain water from dal and save.
- Grind dal to a fine paste either on stone or in a mixie.
- Mix with water and residual water of dal. Blend well till smooth.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add seeds, curry leaves, allow to splutter. Add slit chillies, cloves, bayleaf, and saute one minute.
- Make paste of masalas in 1/4 cup water. Add paste, fry further one minute. Add dal.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with puran polis (refer).
Making time:30 minutes (excluding pressure cooking time)
Makes: 5-6 servings
Shelflife: Best fresh