Air fryer Falafel recipe shared generously by Jyoti Chawla.
Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern food made with legumes (most often with chickpeas or fava beans) that’s mixed with herbs, spices, and then deep fried until crisp golden brown on the outside and tender in the middle.
An air fryer is similar to an oven in the sense that it bakes and roasts, but the difference is its heating elements are only located on top and are accompanied by a large, powerful fan, resulting in food that’s super crispy in no time — and, most notably, with less oil than deep-fried counterparts.
- Two cups of chickpeas, soaked in water for twelve hours or longer.
- One chopped onion.
- One handful of chopped parsley.
- One handful of chopped coriander.
- Four to six cloves of chopped garlic.
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Salt and chilly powder to taste
- Oil for brushing
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas
- Mix first 5 ingredients and put it in the food processor.
- Blend till finely coarse not pureed.
- Add a few spoons of water if required.
- Add remaining ingredients except oil.
- Mix everything.
- Shape the falafel mixture into a 1-2 inch ball using your hands.
- Preheat the air fryer on 200 for 8-10 minutes.
- Grease the air fryer and drop about eight to ten falafels.
- It takes about 12 to 15 minutes with regular checking and brushing with oil once.