Although barley may not be as popular as other whole grains like oats, wheat, or even grain-of-the-moment quinoa, barley has some impressive health benefits. A very high fiber content, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, heart health and diabetes protection are just some of the barley nutrition benefits that make it one of the best whole grain choices.
Barley is a wonderfully versatile cereal grain with a rich nutlike flavor and an appealing chewy, pasta-like consistency. Pearl Barley (Jelai in Bahasa Indonesia) is easily available in the grocery stores.
Here is an easy and tasty salad recipe with boiled pearl barley to try:
- 1 cup Barley
- 1/2 cup Almonds roasted
- Salt to taste
- 2 large Cucumbers cut into small pieces
- 2 large Tomatoes cut into small pieces Celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 5-6 Black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoonsLemon juice
- 4 largeLettuce leaves
- Soak barley in three cups of water for six hours. Drain and pressure cook with three cups of water and salt till almost done.
- Drain and set aside to cool. In a large bowl combine barley,Cucumbers, tomatoes, almonds, celery, coriander leaves, salt, crushed peppercorns and lemon juice and toss well.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving platter, transfer the tossed salad onto the lettuce bed and serve immediately.
Cooking time: 40 mins