- Chicken ½ kg
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper 1 tsp (crushed)
- Ginger and garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Plain yogurt 100 gm
- Fresh mint leaves ½ bunch
- Fresh green coriander 1 bunch
- Green chili 5
- Dry coriander 1 tsp
- Dry cumin seeds 1 ¼ tsp
- Nutmeg ¼ piece
- Mace ¼ tsp
- Whole black pepper ¼ tsp
- Cinnamon 2 – 3 sticks
- Cloves 3 – 5
- Basmati Rice ½ kg
- Cooking oil ½ liter
- Onion 250 gm
- Potato 200 gm
- Tomato 2 medium
- Yellow food coloring ¼ tsp
- Soak basmati rice for half an hour.
- Take a medium sized cooking pot, fill half of it with water and let it boil.
- When water comes to a boil, add salt, cloves, cinnamon sticks, whole black pepper, cumin seeds and oil and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now add soaked rice. Cook rice until 1/3 cooked, strain and keep aside.
- In a dry add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, nutmeg and mace and grind finely.
- In a blender, add fresh coriander, mint leaves green chilies, ginger garlic paste and yogurt and mix till it forms a smooth paste.
- In a bowl, add chicken and green masala, mix well and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Chop finely onion and fry till golden brown.
- Cut potatoes into ¼ of size and soak in salty water.
- In a medium cooking pot, add 100 ml oil and heat.
- Add marinated chicken and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now add ground spices and salt to taste and mix.
- Make a layer of fried onion over chicken and then a layer of rice.
- Sprinkle yellow color on top of it.
Enjoy your Green Chicken Biryani and do let us know your feedback in the comment box below…
by Zareen Akbany