Kerak telor is a spicy omelette like dish that originates from Betawi culture. Although kerak telur can be found anywhere in Jakarta, it is much easier to find during Jakarta Fair in June- July around PRJ. It is famous for many reasons, from the special tools used to create the kerak telor, the method to which it is cooked to the way it gets wrapped to-go. Because of these important reasons, kerak telor is a must try for anyone who just visited the area.
But for anyone who wants to make it at home, here is the recipe:
- 100 gr glutinous rice
- 250 ml water
- 100 gr shaved coconut, lightly fried for toppings
- 5 duck eggs
- 15 gram dried shrimp, brewed, lightly fried, mashed up
- 30 gr fried shallots
- Some fried shallots for topping
- 4 curly red chilli
- 3 cm kencur
- 1 cm ginger
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking oil for frying
How to make it:
1. First, soak glutinous rice overnight. Separate both the rice and the rice water.
2. Heat the oil. Fry the seasoning paste until fragrant.
3. Heat the concave pan, before giving 1 ½ tbsp glutinous sticky rice. Put about 3 tbsp rice water. Wait until it’s half dried.
4. Add the ingredients and mix well with the egg.
5. Pour the ingredients on top of the glutinous sticky rice.
6. Mix everything together while also spreading the rice evenly on the pan.
7. Wait until everything is cooked by closing the pan.
8. Next, open the pan and flip it above the fire. Don’t worry that the egg will fall, for by now it is sticky.
9. Add as much toppings (lightly fried coconut shavings and fried shallots) as you want.