- 1 lb. dried white beans, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 28 oz. whole tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 head cabbage, shredded
- 8 leaves kale, shredded
- 6 cups chicken broth, canned or homemade
- 1 tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Puree half the beans in your food processor and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic for about two minutes or until translucent. Add carrot, celery and potato and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid, beans, bean puree and seasoning. Let simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the mixture (sooner if it seems to be drying out).
- Add cabbage and kale, correct the seasoning and simmer until veggies are completely tender.
- Serve with a dollop of pesto (either homemade or readily prepared from a jar) on the top.
Serves 12. Per serving: 114 calories, 2g fat, 6g protein, 19g carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 0mg cholesterol, and 419mg sodium.