Are you planning to go to Bandung?
The capital city of West Java offers many tourist attractions and experiences, from culinary, shopping, natural attractions like Kawah Putih, to mystery tour for adrenaline junkies. It is the favorite weekend destination for Jakartans. From Jakarta, you can reach Bandung by air (via Husein Sastranegara Airport Bandung), train, bus, or car.
If you want to enjoy the beautiful landscape of Indonesia and enjoy a stress free, traffic jam free trip, train is the best option for you. It takes about 3 hours—slightly longer than if you take a plane or car—but you are free from traffic jam (especially in Cikampek highroad).
There are three train classes from Jakarta to Bandung: KA Ekonomi (Economy class), KA Bisnis (Business class), and KA Eksekutif Jakarta Bandung (Executive class).
Options for KA Ekonomi from Jakarta to Bandung is Argo Parahyangan and Argo Parahyangan Premium, which is slightly more pricier. Meanwhile, Argo Parahyangan and Argo Parahyangan Priority train serves both Business and Executive class from Jakarta to Bandung. All train departs from Gambir station in Jakarta in order to reach Bandung.
|Train Name||Class||Price||Departure Time||Arrival Time||Duration|
|Argo Parahyangan||Economy||Rp90.000||05:05||08:39||3h 34m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Executive||Rp140.000||05:05||08:39||3h 34m|
|Argo Parahyangan Premium||Economy||Rp100.000||07:50||11:07||3h 17m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Economy||Rp90.000||08:45||12:01||3h 16m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Executive||Rp140.000||08:45||12:01||3h 16m|
|Argo Parahyangan Priority||Executive||Rp300.000||08:45||12:01||3h 16m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Economy||Rp90.000||10:30||13:39||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Executive||Rp140.000||10:30||13:39||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan Priority||Executive||Rp300.000||10:30||13:39||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Executive||Rp140.000||12:35||16:00||3h 25m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Economy||Rp90.000||15:30||18:39||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Executive||Rp140.000||15:30||18:39||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan Premium||Economy||Rp100.000||18:00||21:14||3h 14m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Economy||Rp90.000||18:45||21:54||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Executive||Rp140.000||18:45||21:54||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan Priority||Executive||Rp300.000||18:45||21:54||3h 9m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Economy||Rp90.000||20:00||23:14||3h 14m|
|Argo Parahyangan||Executive||Rp140.000||20:00||23:14||3h 14m|
|Argo Parahyangan Priority||Executive||Rp300.000||20:00||23:14||3h 14m|
Argo Parahyangan Priority Train
Argo Parahyangan Priority is particularly different from the rest of the train classes, for it has just been recently open to the public for the first time. Previously, the priority class was only available to VVIP passengers (such as presidential or official entourage) or chartered by a group of travelers.
What sets it apart from other trains is that it’s modelled after luxurious trains in Europe with classic wooden decoration and is dominated by the color brown, complete with various first-class facilities and the latest in technology. It’s features include audio video on demand (AVOD) in every seat, a minibar, 52-inch flat screen TV, special attendants, luxurious toilet, as well as premium seats which are much more comfortable than those in the executive class. Other than that, Passengers are also treated with a coffee break session offering free flow coffee, tea, snacks, and mineral water.
Here are some tips if you are travelling by train:
- The first rule is to buy these tickets 2-3 months in advance, for trains trips between these two cities have been known to sell out, especially on weekends. This is because there are lots of people who try to go to Bandung on long weekends. The combination of Jakartans and other tourists makes the train service very busy.
- Buying the tickets online is preferable to avoid the long queue at the station. Head over to the official sites of Kereta Api Indonesia, ticketing websites such as traveloka.com or tiket.com and mobile app of PT KAI, KAI Access to buy these tickets.However if you still prefer to buy if offline, you can buy tickets at Alfamart or Indomaret rather than the train station.
- Wear comfortable clothes during the trip. Trains are air-conditioned (except economy class) but sometimes the AC is not too cool. Bring scarf or jacket too if you have low tolerance to cold.
- Don’t forget to have a meal before you start the trip. The foods available on train are quite expensive, so it is strongly recommended if you have meals before the trip or bring your own food and drinks. This is not the case if you are riding the Argo Parahyangan Priority, as passengers are treated with a coffee break session offering free flow coffee, tea, snacks, and mineral water.
- Make sure you can keep an eye to your belongings during the trip. You can place your bags or suitcase in the leg room or overhead compartments
- Bring books, laptops, tablets and of course your mobile for entertainment during the trip. Luckily, those in Argo Parahyangan Priority are given sockets to plug their devices to.
If you have traveled from Jakarta to Bandung by train, please share your experiences….